Gee whiz, I’ve been absent on this page! I blame getting engaged, Christmas, New Year, moving houses and being on placement. But really, everything’s been crazy in the best of ways, leaving me a little low on the inspiration front for this blog. I think I’ve got my blogging mojo back though! And hopefully, the weeks to come bring some good posts.
How are we well into Autumn already?! With less than a month to go till Winter?!?! The mornings have been crisp but the rain that brought Autumn in has left us with beautiful sunshine. Maybe this sunshine is the source of my motivation, I do often wonder if I’m solar powered, or maybe a reptile. Also, I’ve broken out my winter warm feet things and they are so snuggly.
Seriously though, what better breakfast on a cold morning than a bowl of oats? Hopefully, we have all collectively moved away from the days of soggy oats in hot water and have now moved onto slightly fancier oats with fairy dust and gold flakes. This recipe is one on constant repetition in my oats repertoire. It’s quite distinguished and complex, especially for oats. The spices and ginger give the oats a spicy kick and a lot of warmth. The nuts add texture as well as a certain buttery taste. The bananas are beautiful and sweet. Drizzle all that with dark, sticky, and slightly bitter molasses and this is pure gold.
I like my oats quite ginger-y so if you don’t, maybe add less ginger. I hope this warms you on a cold morning and starts your day off with some spicy goodness.
- 3- 4 tablespoons oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup dairy milk/ non-dairy milk/ water
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (1/2 if you prefer less spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon nut/ seed mix
- Drizzle of molasses/ dark honey
- 1 banana
- Olive oil
- Place all oat ingredients into a small pot
- Simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes or until oats have softened and absorbed the liquid
- Toast nuts in a pan until fragrant
- Then lightly coat the same pan in olive oil and grill banana until brown
- Place oats in bowl, top with nuts and banana, drizzel with some molasses or honey