I have a treat for you. It is healthy, starts with chocolate and ends with cake. It started on a Monday night. All I wanted after a long day was to bake a healthy chocolate cake. Being out of eggs forced me to be creative. And thus, this beauty of a cake was born.
It is amazing. It isn’t yummy for a healthy cake. It is yummy for a cake. This makes the house smell amazing when it’s in the oven. It bakes a gorgeously even cake that is easy to work with and is lovely without the frosting. The frosting, however, brings it to a whole new level. Above all, the cake is beautiful. This makes an impressive dessert for your next dinner party, they won’t even know it’s healthy!
Chocolate Yogurt Cake with Avocado Frosting (Eggless)
- 1 ¾ cup oats
- 1 ¼ cup Greek/firm vanilla yogurt (I used Jalna’s Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt)*
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup rice malt syrup or honey (I used rice malt syrup)
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup mashed avocado
- 1 cup rice malt syrup or honey
- 1 cup cacao powder
- Optional decorations: goji berries, chopped pistachios, cacao nibs and dried rose petals.
- *Alternatively, find the firmest yogurt you can and taste the batter once it’s done. Add rice malt syrup to taste if it isn’t sweet enough!
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch round cake tin.
- Melt coconut oil and rice malt syrup in a bowl in the microwave or in a pot over the stove.
- Add melted coconut oil, rice malt syrup and all other ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Frost cooled cake.
- Top with decorations.