Some recipes are a product of a cross between inspiration and a little bit of mad science. This is one of them.
Once upon a time we had a lot of ripe bananas. This is a permanent state in our house due to my penchant for a snack of frozen bananas with peanut butter. However, I already had two containers of frozen bananas. Banana bread thus came to mind as a likely fate for these bananas. I had initially thought of mixing it up by making a salted-honey upside down banana cake. Oh yum! So I conceptualised a recipe and got cracking. However the moment the banana mashing commenced, it hit me. Chocolate. It needed to be chocolate flavoured. So back to the drawing board (dining table) I went. I then settled on a double chocolate banana bread. Yes, that sounds good. However, in it’s final stages of preparation, I was hit by a stroke of genius that told me to add some peanut butter to the batter. And viola- the double chocolate peanut butter banana bread was born!
This loaf is a sight to behold with it’s slices of juicy bananas, cocoa nibs and swirls of peanut butter. It is absolutely healthy but looks utterly sinful. You don’t need me to tell you this though, the photos show it in its full glory. Peanut butter, bananas and chocolate seem like a match make in heaven. Taylor thinks, and I concur, that all the flavours work together with not a single one overwhelming the other. If you are after something healthy yet absolutely indulgent then this is the one for you! We have had it for breakfast and gosh, it’s like cake for brekkie!
- 1.5 cups wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 cups mashed ripe banana (approximately four bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil or other oils
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Mix wholewheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl
- Blend dates and water into a smooth paste.
- Mix banana, eggs, olive oil and date mixture into the flour mixture
- Stir in dark chocolate chunks
- Warm peanut butter in microwave and roughly stir in so that you have swirls and not a homogenous mixture
- Pour into loaf tin
- Decorate with banana slices and cocoa nibs
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until skewer in the middle comes out clean
- Let cool before slicing
- For even cleaner slices, let sit overnight.