I love warm oats on a cold morning. Yet somehow I wasn’t convinced that baked oats would be much different from my usual bowl of oats. Very wrong I was.
This recipe takes oatmeal to a whole new level. The ingredients are similar to what I have in my usual bowl of oats but baking the custard-like mixture makes it come together perfectly. The bananas and blueberries melt in the oven and the oats take on a cake-pudding-like texture. Meanwhile, the sultanas get perfectly plump and the walnuts add a great crunch. It is also great because you can make a large batch and just heat it up in the mornings. Great for 5am starts!
- 2 cups traditional rolled oats
- ¾ cup blueberries
- ½ cup crushed walnuts
- ½ cup sultanas
- 5 medium bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (cashew, almond or cow’s)
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mash 4 bananas and add eggs, milk and vanilla essence.
- Stir in oats, walnuts, sultanas, cinnamon, baking powder, blueberries and salt.
- Place in a baking dish.
- Top with slices of the last banana.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top has browned.
- Serve with warm milk or peanut butter.