There is something strangely comforting about the scent of baked bananas, warm blueberry muffins and a mug of coffee on a cold day.
I had a maniacal obsession with perfecting this recipe. 5 batches of muffins and one getting-over-muffins-boyfriend later, I think I am finally happy with it.
These muffins are moist, fluffy and perfectly comforting. The combination of sweet over-ripe bananas, oozing blueberries and crunchy walnuts make for the perfect teatime snack!
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (approximately 4 medium bananas)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk (your choice of almond, cashew or cow’s)
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup whole meal flour
- 1 cup oat flour or oats (blended into flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Combine whole meal flour, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Whisk bananas, egg, milk, coconut oil and honey in a separate bowl.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in blueberries and walnuts.
- Fill up muffin cases (I usually put ½ a cup of batter per case).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.